Over the last few years creativity in all its forms has been unleashed thanks in no small part to technology, this website is a celebration of that fact. Expect me to waffle on about pretty much anything that might, however tenuously, be linked to art and design.

Friday, September 17, 2004

Mobile Phone Photography -- Part 1

If there's one area of technology that's really on the move right now its Mobile Phone Photography. I read recently that Qualcomm (great company) are to introduce a 6 megapixel chip-set next year, 6 MEGA PIXELS!!! http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C2854/That's just crazy, well not crazy, but almost completely unexpected on a mobile phone. Of course there is no way that a 6 megapixel phone camera is going to produce the same results as a 6 megapixel digital SLR, but still the results should easily surpass your average digital camera. Makes me wonder where is this all going to end. At what point will your average 'mobile phone Joe' decide that they're happy with the picture resolution. Here's my prediction for the next 2 years. Average mobile phone camera resolution will reach around the 4 megapixel mark at the very end of next year, then in 2006 we will see a real push for much better video (and sound) recording. It will be interesting to see what people decide to do with all these photos and videos.
Put them on their blogs I suspect! http://moblog.co.uk/
Picture taken with my lovely Nokia 3650. More soon . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Aline said...

There is no better use for mobile phone pictures than posting them on your blog! How long before you can blog straight from your phone? I guess it's already possible but I mean not just possible but highly accessable like SMS for instance!

3:45 pm

 
Blogger James said...

Fast forward to August 2006, just one month to go on my two year prediction.

Tomorrow my Nokia N93 arrives. A complete smart phone with TV out, dedicated 3D graphics card (I didn't see that one coming) and Wifi. A MP3 and AAC player and a full web browser which is based on the same code as Apple's Safari.

Things I did get right? 3.2mp camera with 3x optical zoom and 640 x 480 30fps video recorder with 48khz stereo sound, recorded in AAC.

So, what of 2008 mobile phone tech?

I guess 6mp stills would be available on high end of the market with HD (720p) video recording. a small HD OLED display would be great too!

11:25 pm

 
Blogger mytlcblog said...

criky not a bad prediction.....samsung I8910

12:10 am

 
Blogger James said...

Gavin: Wow... Indeed. I'd completely forgotten about this prediction. Let's see if I can predict the mobile technology of 2012. ^_^

I'll give it some thought and head back here in a day or two.

Thanks for commenting!

6:58 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home