Over the last few years creativity in all its forms has been unleashed thanks in no small part to technology, this website is a celebration of that fact. Expect me to waffle on about pretty much anything that might, however tenuously, be linked to art and design.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Multitasking kills creativity!

What happens when you have too many things to do at any one time? Creativity dies! Its almost as if 'to create' is the most difficult function for the brain and hence it needs to focus its full power on that one act. Kind of makes sense really . . .

5 Comments:

Blogger Aline said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. Being a housewife I find it really hard to create new recipes or sort out what to do for dinner and lunch every SINGLE day!! But after I make something nice it feels good and I get motivated for more! That's why Paul and I can't get skinny!!

12:05 pm

 
Blogger James said...

Mark; funny enough I was thinking about talks too. I have to get really organised just before I sit down to write a public talk--not just in the sense of getting paper and pens together etc, but in the sense of sorting out anything that could play on my mind, bills I have to pay, messages I have to pass on, that kind of thing.

Aline; I'm not allowed to cook anything (probably for the best), so I haven't experienced the joy of creative food preparation! ;)

12:17 pm

 
Blogger Aline said...

Right now I need to upgrade to dual brain processing! I'm doing so many things at once that I lose track of where I am!

On a different note I find it almost impossible to single-task let alone multi-task for the first hour every morning!

4:29 pm

 
Blogger ME! said...

How can you not multi-task creatively when you are boasting to be "The Creative Life"? Just kidding - I understand what yer sayin.

7:07 pm

 
Blogger Aline said...

There is a piece in one of the latest Awake magazines under Watching the World. It says that too many tasks can cause parts of the brain to shutdown!

3:49 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home